The oddity, wit, whimsy, and creativity of this soul...

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

A Whole Lot of NO : A Whole30 Diary

Alright, let's get this started. I thought I'd document my Whole 30 journey simply because I've appreciated reading blogs and posts of those who have documented their own journeys and everything has been beneficial to read! I am currently holding strong in week 3, but I will list below my food prep for each week and meal plan for each day---and trust me, I'd love a donut while I type this. If you want to skip ahead, scroll down for my side notes about my first full week and more information about why I agreed to this crazy adventure called the Whole30!


FOOD PREP




Pork Shoulder 
(Bought at Costco, cooked in the crock pot, left plain and shredded for the week)

Bacon
(One pack of Coleman's uncured, nitrate-free pork [bought at Costco] cooked and stored for the week)

Mayo

(Recipe found here--pour the oil in very slowly)

Celery and Cucumbers
(Washed and cut for the week)

Sweet Potatoes
(One bag bought at Aldi, each one baked, then mashed. I added a tablespoon of ghee [clarified butter] and a whole lot of cinnamon!)


WEEK ONE
(Breakfast, lunch, snacks, and dinner in order by bullet points)


Day 1

  • Fried egg, plain guacamole (avocado, salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper), and bacon
  • Plantains and blackberries
  • Homemade Chipotle bowl
(Romaine lettuce, avocado oil, shredded pork, Trader Joe's salsa verde, Chipotle's hot salsa, avocado slices, and original Tabasco)

Day 2

  • Blackberries, plain guacamole with plantains, and a spoonful of almond butter
  • Tuna with celery and homemade mayo, green grapes, and a kiwi
  • Shredded pork, mashed sweet potatoes, and green beans

Day 3

  • One kiwi with bacon
  • Tuna with celery and homemade mayo and green grapes
  • Plain guacamole and plantains
  • Shredded pork, mashed sweet potatoes, and green beans

Day 4

  • Fried egg and plain guacamole with bacon pieces
  • Tuna with celery and homemade mayo
  • Blackberries and cucumbers
  • Homemade Chipotle bowl

Day 5

  • Blackberries, a banana (with almond butter), scrambled eggs, and bacon
  • Black coffee
(Romaine, spinach, steak, carrots, cucumber, roasted sweet potatoes, and avocado.
I used olive oil and apple cider vinegar as my dressing.)


Day 6

  • Blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, pineapple 
(Just so you know, I was at a VERY cute baby shower and would have much rather had a few --5-- of the mini cups of chocolate milk with straws and mini powdered donuts attached. Adorable and tempting.)
(Coffee with coconut milk and more than a sprinkle of cinnamon)
  • Homemade Chipotle Bowls

Day 7

  • Tuna with homemade mayo and Whole30 compliant Ranch Dip (recipe here) with celery sticks
(Skirt steak, seasoned crushed potatoes, and asparagus--all prepared with olive oil)

SIDE NOTES

I'm pretty proud of my meal planning, but because I couldn't get my hands on an organic fryer chicken, I decided that shredded pork would be the easiest option (given our work schedules) for the time being. I will definitely be incorporating more lean meat and more vegetables into every meal for week 2! And guys, seriously, if you love mayo as much as I do, you really need to make that homemade mayo recipe! It's a life saver! You can go to Chipotle during the Whole30, but for me, it's not the same if I can't have sour cream and cheese so I simply stay away--BUT, their hot salsa is compliant so I made sure to have two small containers on hand for the week. I have also been loving plantain chips from Trader Joe's! They are a major Whole30 staple for someone like me who can't have toast or crackers with her plain guacamole! And, if you love spicing up your food (and your guacamole like me), try using original Tabasco (it's compliant!). On everything.

 FAILS THAT WEREN'T EPIC.

The Whole30 creators would love for everyone to start over after realizing an unintentional or intentional slip up during their challenge, but they also understand that not everyone will do so. The reason they would love for you to start over is because they want the commitment factor to this mindset to hold strong and for your mind and body to be extremely intentional 100% of the time without allowances. I get it, and I completely agree to no cheat days and not trying to maintain old habits with "refurbished" food. But have it be known that if I accidentally (and without thinking) pop a piece of sugary gum into my mouth, I am not going to start over. Are you kidding? I'm stinkin' proud of myself for even starting this Whole30 in the first place! Now, if I knowingly eat a piece of chocolate cake, then yes, I will start over. I promise.

My not so epic fails are listed below:

 I discovered halfway through the week that the bacon I was using has brown sugar listed as one of the ingredients, but has no "grams" of sugar listed in the nutrition facts. I know I should've paid more attention to the list of ingredients themselves (nutrition facts mean nothing), but it has been the healthiest and most accessible bacon I've ever come across. I debated to continue using it and limit my intake, but I've put it away to use after my Whole30. Sad.

In researching bakery options for our coffee date, I came across MudPie (a vegan bakery) and loved that they made their own coconut milk in house--(um, they also make amazing gluten free cupcakes, but that's besides the point)! I know I can use coconut milk or unsweetened almond milk and spices to doctor up my coffee at home, but I'd rather not. I'll just drink it black if I have to (see Day 5). However, my husband and I LOVE to frequent coffee shops and play games. I knew this month long commitment meant that I would have to forego the pastries and coffee with milk and cream, but I planned ahead, researched my options, and ordered a cappuccino with coconut milk. Prior to going, I had researched how to make your own coconut milk and assumed that Mudpie followed recipes that I had seen on google (simply unsweetened coconut and water). I assumed so much that I forgot to ask before ordering and discovered a half-downed cappuccino later that they make their milk with sugar! Silly vegans. So long, coconut cappuccino!

My last "uh-oh" was at Seasons52. You have to be so careful when going out during the Whole30! To me, it's absolutely ridiculous and doesn't even seem worth it to spend that kind of money unless you need to be out for a special occasion. I ordered off of their dairy free menu, and like I stated above, everything was cooked with olive oil. You'll find that I'm not entirely strict with the Whole30 rules when it comes to asking about every single detail when eating out so I didn't care if the skirt steak was grassfed or not. I'm wasn't about to annoy the waiter. However, when my meal came out, the plain steak I thought I ordered was covered in some kind of sauce that was not mentioned on the menu. So I scraped off the sauce from most of the meat and ate what I could. Again, I was not going to start over. My mindset was still secure and I've been making the best choices I can!

WHY?

This Whole30 plan is a little crazy. No sugar, no dairy, no legumes (beans, etc.), no grains. Oh friends, it's exhausting to think of explaining it further so head on over and read more about it here. You will find rules, but a network of support, resources, and articles to get you started!

 I truly NEVER wanted to do a Whole30. I have a few friends that have taken the challenge from time to time, but it always sounded awful to me. To give up sugar and DAIRY (along with everything else) would never ever work for me--despite the great health and energy benefits. Most people cringe at the the thought of no sugar, and yes, I definitely miss my sugary treats--pastries at the coffee shops, a bowl of ice cream, cookies, etc.! But I'm realizing that any "real" food that I may crave isn't necessarily jam packed with sugar--but DAIRY. Milk and cream, cheese, yogurt, and sour cream. I'm telling you, this is hard!

So why am I taking the challenge?

Well, I decided those benefits might actually be worth it. I've felt sluggish over the past year, but especially over the holidays, I started to really feel it from all the holiday treats. It was then that I noticed a post from a friend on Instagram doing a holiday detox, which essentially, was 15 days of clean eating from the Whole30 plan. I thought, hey! I can try to do 15 days. I realized that I had always looked at the Whole30 in it's entirety and it always seemed incredibly overwhelming and intimidating. I would immediately shut down the idea of trying and say no. BUT. If I could scale it back and just focus on 15 days (for now), then the next 15 days later, I could make this work. Incremental thinking. ;) As you can see, I scaled it back even further and I'm celebrating one week at a time. I truly want to prove to myself that I can do this. There have been so many times that I've said "I'll eat better this week" or "I'll exercise next week" and it has never happened. I'm all talk. This will prove to my mind, body, and soul that I CAN create a healthier me.

All in all, I feel tired, but no more than usual. Being tired is to be expected at the beginning of this challenge! Cravings are also normal--I have had multiple cravings for pizza, Chipotle, and cheesecake, and yes, I would LOVE a donut. I get my sweet tooth from my dad and I don't believe it will ever go away--and I'm ok with that! However, I'm starting to realize that it can be tamed. I'm looking forward to continuing a mindset of learning to say no more often and having a better awareness of what and how much I should be putting into my body.

I'm a little behind with sharing my progress, but be sure to check back in a few days for a recap on week 2! I was (and still am) sick with a head cold and was in no way well prepared for the week! Let's just say I wanted pizza every day. :)

For the Whole30 rebels, I'll even include a recipe for an ice cream cake I made for Craig's birthday!
(I made him save me a piece...)

No comments:

Post a Comment